Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Tuna Cakes

My inspiration for tonight's dinner was recent sales on crab cakes at both Earth Fare and Fresh Market.  I considered making a quick grocery stop on my way home from work last night, but out of habit I found myself taking my usual route home and pulling into the driveway without a stop for the crab cakes.  These tuna cakes are a quick recipe that can be thrown together on a weeknight with simple pantry ingredients.  I served a pair of the tuna cakes with mashed rutabaga and asparagus (roasted at 400 degrees for 25 minutes).


Tuna Cakes
Ingredients
5oz can tuna, drained (Trader Joe's no-salt added solid white tuna in water)
1/3 cup black beans
1/3 cup chopped green pepper and onion (I used frozen)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 oz plain greek yogurt (0% Fage)
2 tbsp coarse grain mustard
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
Few dashes of hot sauce

Directions
1. Roughly mash black beans with a fork.  Combine with tuna, pepper/onion, and garlic.
2. In a separate container mix together the remaining ingredients (yogurt, mustard, nutritional yeast, old bay seasoning, and hot sauce).
3.  Add this yogurt sauce to the tuna and mix until well combined.
4.  Heat pan over medium heat.  Drizzle with EVOO.
5.  Form four palm-sized patties with the tuna and place in well heated pan.
6.  Cook 4 minutes, flip, and cook an additional 3 minutes.
7.  Serve warm either plain or with your favorite tartar sauce.


These are well seasoned and fulfilled my crab cake craving without the expense of visiting the prepared foods section.  I always hesitate to purchase crab cakes because so many are loaded with breading or other "fillers."  These are sans-breading, which lets the seafood stand as the featured ingredient.  You could also easily substitute salmon, trout, muscles, or shrimp for the tuna.

No comments:

Post a Comment