Monday, August 13, 2012

Quinoa Broccoli Casserole


Last week I found myself craving a simple dish that I remember from my childhood - Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole.  A brief search through some of my favorite blogs and recipe collections led me to this gem - Quinoa Broccoli Casserole.  I made a few of my own additions and alterations, detailed below, but overall the general construct the original recipe.  I'd consider it to be a healthier adult version of the savory classic.  After a busy weekend on call and feeling sleep deprived, this was the perfect plate of comfort.  Even the leftovers have been equally as good as the first spoonful.


I halved the recipe, with the exception of using a generous portion of broccoli, a whole onion, and three cloves of garlic.  For the cheese sauce, I found that I needed to add a half-cup of almond milk to the cheese and egg in order to create enough moisture.  When I make the dish again - and I definitely will! - I'd add even more liquid to the sauce to keep the quinoa moist.  A couple tablespoons of dijon mustard would have a punch of flavor as well.

That's all for tonight, as bedtime is calling.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment