Sunday, February 2, 2014

Superbowl Sunday with the Sniffles

It was merely a few hours after I was telling someone how fortunate I was to be escaping the winter illness-free, that I was suddenly struck with a scratchy throat and feeling of impending doom.  For the past few weeks I have felt surrounded by coughing in sniffles in every direction I turned.  My obsessive hand-washing, emergen-c chugging, and multivitamin-taking proved successful for quite sometime, but just wasn't quite enough to keep away those pesky germs.  In the past 24 hours I've used an entire box of tissues.  Although the rest of the country is feasting on chips, dip, and chicken wings, I opted for scrambled eggs and smashed avocado on an english muffin.  


The weather in Charlotte this week has been ridiculous.  Monday it was 65 degrees and sunshine.  Winter storm Leon greeted the South on Tuesday, dumping just less than an inch of snow on our area, but wreaking havoc on the roads.  


After a few days of frigid temperatures, the weekend brought the return of warming temperatures.  I made sure to soak up a couple hours of sunshine and vitamin D on the back deck.  Bring on the spring!


Week 4 of Ironman training is in the books, which brings me to a much anticipated recovery week.  This recovery also coincides with VACATION, so it will be an active recovery week featuring snow skiing.  Overall, I felt good Monday - Friday.  Saturday's 11 mile run was made more difficult by my cold, but I succeeded in running the last 4 miles at tempo pace.  This morning's 2+ hour bike was a struggle with tired legs and lots of sniffles, but the work got done.  Here's how week 4 finished:

Swimming: 6250 yards

Biking:  4 hours, 52 minutes

Running: 22.6 miles

Strength: 2 hours

Total Time: 12 hours, 22 minutes

Any tips for packing for a six-day ski vacation using only a carry-on suitcase?  Currently my suitcase looks like this.  I think I have some work to do!


No comments:

Post a Comment