Sunday, March 16, 2014

Let the Build Begin

If the second half of this past week is any indication, the build towards longer distance racing has officially begun.  Despite a few days of recovery at the beginning of the week, I still managed to hit a total of 14 hours of training over seven days.  The combination of a TRX workout on Thursday, a long bike on Friday, and a brick on Saturday, left me feeling more sore and tired than I have in a while.  


Here's exactly how week 9 of Ironman Chattanooga training went down:
Total: 13 hours, 50 minutes

Swim: 11800 yards
Yardage was a little higher than average just because I moved my Monday swim for the upcoming week back a day to Sunday due to a busier anticipated work schedule.  Friday's set included 4 x 500 and I was pleased by some consistent splits, included 7:22 for the last 500 (average pace 1:28/100).  

Bike: 7 hours
Hour of power workouts continue and I'm making gradual but steady progress.  Tuesday was 4 x 8 minutes at 190 watts.  Friday evening, I took my bike out on the road for the first time in many months for a 50 mile trip through south Charlotte.  And then on Saturday night, it was an additional 2 hour transition brick ride.

Run: 8.5 miles
Mileage was low this week, intentionally to give my legs some recovery from the half-marathon.  Despite dreading mile 30 minute brick run on very tired legs, once I got started I felt surprisingly good and descended with each mile.

Strength/Yoga: 2 hours
I tried an hour of TRX strength on Thursday, and OMG . . . I discovered muscles that haven't been that sore in quite some time.  Now if only those bands weren't a ridiculously overpriced $180, there'd be one in my house very soon.  I also incorporated two 30 minute yoga sessions to help stretch out after the weekend half-marathon and then the long bike.


Backing up to last weekend, my pre-race dinner was grilled salmon over roasted broccoli slaw and a brown rice medley.  Without a doubt, the best meal of the week was my post-race treat - a to-go order from COWFISH!  Their "Heavenly Veggie Burger" is topped with avocado, arugula, and roasted red peppers on a whole grain bun.  Given that it is a burger-sushi-bar, my choices for side dishes were naturally sweet potato fries and seaweed salad.  SO DELICIOUS!!


All of the other meals paled in comparison.  Breakfast one morning was scrambled eggs with spinach, strawberries and kiwi, and a sweet potato biscuit.


Continuing the egg theme, but for dinner, was a massive veggie scrambled that contained broccoli slaw, shredded carrots, mozzarella cheese, and herbs.  Avocado toast paired nicely for a savory twist on a breakfast meal.


 Finally, I spent a significant amount of time this past week working on my grand rounds presentation - "Driving in the Setting of an Orthopaedic Injury."  This particular night I worked straight through dinner while munching on a salad and flatbread cracker with hummus.


Is it freezing cold and raining or snowing where you live?  Here's to hoping that this is the last of the cold and rainy weather we see this winter and that spring is soon to arrive!


No comments:

Post a Comment