Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Eats, Training, Celebrations

I'm  . . . so . . . tired.  Today's post is all about pictures because I'm afraid that if I starting typing lots of words, it would be nothing more than exhausted ramblings.

Just a random assortment of refrigerator and freezer finds for dinner.  Dinners when I'm on the trauma service look something like this on most nights, especially after a weekend on call without time for meal prep.

National Running Day
Getting out the door for early evening workouts are tough, but I'm getting the work done.  Hopefully the heat training will be beneficial.

Trauma Team Outing at BB&T Ballpark to watch the Charlotte Knights

A beautiful evening, mugs of hard cider, baseball, and friends.
For a moment I actually felt like a regular person and not a sleep-deprived doctor.

Taste of Charlotte filled the streets of Uptown in early June.
Newk's Favorite Salad is always one of the healthiest options.

Cafe Sienna's Seabass Cake over Slaw takes my vote for the best dish every year. 
Crab cakes over a broccoli slaw salad enjoyed on the deck with the last rays of the setting sun.

CMC's Annual Resident Research Day
I presented me project - "Orthopaedic Firearm Injuries in Children and Adolescents"

2014 Chief Roast
One of our attending's hosted this annual event for celebrating our chief residents.  It's an event that we all look forward to every year.  Despite being on call, I was fortunate to escape for a few hours to enjoy the evening.

Gabby, Julie, Me, and Nikkole - The Ortho Girls

The chef for the evening prepared a delicious Mexican feast, complete with tacos, beans, chips, salsa, and guacamole.  Dessert was an assortment of Amelie's pastries.

All of the residents and some faculty gathered around the big screen to watch the roast videos.
I couldn't ask for a better group of co-residents!

Post-call lunch on Sunday - enjoyed after a 3 hour nap.
This past weekend marked my last ever junior call and I couldn't be happier!
Finally, here's the most recent Ironman Chattanooga training update

Week 21 - A Recovery Week
Swim (9300 yards) - Enjoying the outdoor lap pool that is opened for the summer!
Bike - (5 hours) - Including a 70 mile ride that marked my longest bike yet.  It was a solid day in the saddle and helped to build my confidence that I'll be ready for 112 miles by September.
Run - (14.6 miles) - Just some easy miles to help the legs recover plus a few uptempo off my long bike.
Totals - 10 hours, 30 minutes

Week 22 - A bit short on hours due to work schedule and being on call over the weekend
Swim (4800 yards)
Bike (4 hours, 25 minutes) - Mostly power and strength work on the trainer
Run (26.1 miles) - An 11 mile endurance run in 90 degree heat, treadmill intervals, and a post-call sleepy 8 miles
Totals - 10 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment