Friday, September 14, 2012

Dinner at Salud

Whole Foods has officially arrived in Charlotte, and I couldn't be more excited!  How lucky could a girl possibly to have both Earth Fare and Whole Foods within 2 miles of my house, not to mention the multiple farmer's markets just a short drive away?

Tonight, I attended a Salud cooking demonstration at Whole Foods.  Justin Balmes, a previous Whole Foods employee and prior contestant on Food Network Star and Chopped All-Stars, prepared a "Farm to Table" dinner.  After a hill climb bike workout, I arrived hungry, excited, and ready to enjoy a decadent meal.


The kitchen is impressive, and I can only wish that I will be able to stock my kitchen with similar cookware and appliances in the future.  Just a little bit (wishful thinking) crap-ton of medical school debt to pay off first. It's only money right?


While the food was generally okay, the chef struggled to interact with the audience and there was lots of awkward silence that left the audience visibly frustrated to have invested in such a lackluster evening at the cooking school.  The class was scheduled to end at 8:30pm, yet at 9pm we were being served only our third of four courses.

Here is a peak at our dinner:

Panzanella Salad
Local Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella, Torn Croutons, Basil, Arugula, and White balsamic

Pan Roasted Grouper
Shrimp and Corn Succotash, Smoked Tomato Grits

Grilled Pork Chop
Sweet Potato and Gouda Mac, Spicy Kale
After several plates of rich food and three pours of wine (a near-record for this lightweight), I was more than ready to be done eating, and had just a couple bites of dessert and failed to snap a picture to share.

Despite my frustrations, I'd definitely consider going back for another class at Salud.  The key to the classes is finding a great chef who has a captivating personality and can multi-task in the kitchen to whip up an enjoyable meal while simultaneously engaging the audience.

This girl is ready for her bed.  It's already in the upper 60s outside and my windows are opened to enjoy the cool fall air.  A sound night sleep is guaranteed!  Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment