Sunday, December 2, 2012

An Early Arrival and Lots of Sleep

I made it!  The past fifteen days will most definitely go down in history as some of the most difficult that I can recall.  I've long known that my work schedule surrounding Thanksgiving would be two weeks of hell, but what I didn't imagine was that I'd fight the flu, a painfully broken rib, and a stomach virus during the exact same time.  Fortunately, I'm now on the other side of it all and very gradually finding my way back to my usual healthy state.

I've been looking forward to this weekend for a couple months, as I had planned a family Thanksgiving celebration in Charlotte.  It turned out to be a more low key weekend than I originally anticipated, but it was perfect given the circumstances.  Friday morning I pulled in the driveway about 8am, dragging home from night float.  I was expecting Mom and Dad's arrival about 2pm and was focused on a hot shower and morning nap.  Out of the corner of my eye, however, I spotted a pink nose smushed against the front window of the house.  It was Bailey!  Assuming she had not traveled alone, that could only mean that Dad and Mom had planned a surprise early arrival without me having a clue.  After struggling through the past two weeks, I cannot even begin to tell you how wonderful it was to see them.  They had arrived Thursday night and wiped every surface of the house down with Lysol to ensure the flu-germs were gone.  And on top of that, they brought Christmas cheer.

After several hours of sleep with my favorite puppy curled up at my side, I returned to the world of the living and we enjoyed lunch at Cowfish.  Dad ordered the veggie burger, and it's hands down the best and biggest restaurant veggie burger I've ever eaten.

Mom and I split two sushi rolls:
Miss Moffitt’s Roll

Spicy tuna, scallions and crispy tempura flakes rolled inside, topped with thin slices of fresh avocado, then drizzled with sweet eel sauce
The Neon Dion Roll

Tempura coconut shrimp, kani and English cucumber roll coated in crispy tempura flakes. Topped with fresh papaya, avocado and Cajun marmalade, and dusted with coconut flakes to finish

We returned home to find this crazy animal full of energy.  We turned our backs for a few minutes and next thing we knew she came sauntering down the stairs with my scarf in her mouth.  I think she was trying to tell us she was cold, because as soon as I wrapped it around her neck she was happy as could be.  I also later discovered that she had graciously emptied my garbage can onto the bedroom floor and even attempted to brush her teeth with my flu-ridden toothbrush that I had intentionally thrown away.  Does anyone know if dogs can catch the flu?

Friday night's dinner was a cozy meal - homemade turkey and rice soup that Mom brought from home, salad, and a cranberry orange roll.  It was the perfect comfort food that only Mom's can create, and promptly resulted in heavy eyes and need for sleep.  Eleven glorious uninterrupted hours of sleep happened that night, and I needed every bit of it.

Saturday we made a trip to the farmer's market, strolled through the park, and enjoyed lunch in the sun at Luna's Living Kitchen.  We returned home and in about 60 seconds flat I was passed out on the deck in the sun.  We enjoyed a lazy afternoon of football, including Georgia's disappointing loss, and then I got to work on dinner.  I modified the elaborate Thanksgiving meal I had originally planned to accommodate the three of us.

Crispy Baked Kale with Gruyere Cheese

Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Parsnips, and Brussel Sprouts with Honey Glaze

Vegan Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy

I still haven't developed my hunger pains as meal times approach, and most definitely am missing my usual grazing behavior, but still enjoyed the hearty meal.  Cherry pie was the finishing touch for dessert

Sunday marked my official return to exercise after 16 days of absolutely no workouts.  Dad and I enjoyed a 5 mile run at 9 minute pace - normally a very easy run for me, but today that pace felt more like 7:30 pace.  It wasn't easy, but it was nice to break a sweat again.

To wrap up the weekend we sipped on coffee at Not Just Coffee in 7th Street Public Market.  I had a caramel latte, and it might have possibly been the best latte I've ever had.  I'll definitely be back!

How has the entire weekend passed and Sunday night has arrived already?  I need another weekend!  Five days of work and then two more days of rest . . . I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment