Monday, February 4, 2013

Pizza for Dinner

Last week I had a sudden craving for pizza.  Specifically, I wanted a thin crispy crust, a hearty layer of marinara, lots of veggies, and a light sprinkling of cheese.  I thawed a Trader Joe's whole wheat pizza crust and made a quick trip to Whole Foods for some veggies (bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, garlic), and got to work on my pizza.  The end result was a steaming hot mega-veggie pizza - EXACTLY what I was craving.


Do you make homemade pizza or do you opt for delivery?  For me, there's no comparison - homemade all the way!  I do need to buy a pizza stone though for the optimal crispy crust.  If you've never tried it, grilled pizzas are incredible as well.  In fact, caramelized balsamic onions and gouda grilled pizza might just hold a special spot in my heart.  

Tonight's dinner: reheated veggie pizza, roasted broccoli slaw, and avocado slices
Over the weekend - when I wasn't on call - I put on my baking apron and whipped up a batch of breakfast cookies.  When I workout in the early morning darkness, I frequently want a small snack either before or immediately following the swim or bike.  These are the perfect solution.  The batter contained oats, mashed banana, applesauce, raisins, dried cranberries, cinnamon, flax, and almond flour.  Ten minutes in the oven later, I now have a dozen "cookies" ready and waiting for consumption.



Saturday featured 25 glorious hours at the big house on call.  Fun times.  I was hoping for a few hours of sleep on a cold winter night, but consults kept me moving until 4:15am.  Despite the lack of sleep, when I arrived home I was motivated to tackle 90 minutes on the trainer thanks to the season one finale of Homeland.  Who else is completely captivated by this show?  I am so close to adding Showtime to me cable package, yet my student loans are sucking away my every last penny.  


Sunday afternoon was spent trying to keep my eyes open and study.  For some reason, pedicle screw fixation for scoliosis just wasn't winning in the battle for sleep.  I attempted to energize with breakfast for lunch - a veggie egg scramble (broccoli slaw, mushrooms, onion), hummus on toast, and avocado.  It was the perfect fuel for an hour long nap next to the fireplace.  


And on that note - my bed is calling.  Actually it's the toasty warm heated blanket that is beckoning me.



No comments:

Post a Comment