Sunday, June 21, 2015

Wine and French Fries

This weekend featured my longest workouts of the year thus far, and a reminder that Ironman Louisville is just 16 weeks away.  After 8 hours of workouts over two days, I'm spending the afternoon on the couch with plenty of food within reach and my NormaTec recovery boots.  These things are seriously the best purchase I've made in a long time!


This afternoon I had breakfast for lunch since I'd been biking and running during breakfast time and had been surviving on Bonk Breakers and Skratch fruit drops and hydration mix.  Fortunately, I'm a sponsored as a Skratch Taste Ambassador and just restocked my supply of the best endurance drink on the market.


Friday night was our orthopaedic department graduation celebration.  It's a casual night of mingling, drinks, dinner, and awards held at Belle Acres Country Club.  Dinner consisted of a hefty serving fries, slaw, a taste of a burger, and apple cobbler.  As it turns out, a late night greasy meal is a very poor choice the night before a long brick.  I wasn't feeling too great on Saturday morning after too few hours of sleep and a sixty mile bike and four mile run was a struggle.  My stomach tossed and turned for the rest of the day.  

As for food, Ive been enjoying lots of summer produce.  My spinach plant is growing like crazy, although struggling over the past week with day after day of near 100 degree temperatures.


My farmer's market haul from last weekend included lettuces, sweet potatoes, kiwi, grapes, a lime, apricots, tomato, and cucumbers.


Roasted vegetable marinara over quinoa pasta with freshly grated parmesan was for dinner several nights last week.  I haven't had an Italian meal in quite some time and this was a very satisfying meal.


Breakfast for lunch is a typical theme on weekends following a long workout.  This particular morning included a veggie filled omelet, PB&J on Great Harvest Dakota bread, and an apricot.  I haven't had a fresh apricot in years, but will definitely be buying more this summer.


An easy and frequently made weeknight meal are egg sandwiches.  On this particular night, garden tomato slices and basil accompanied the egg and a pile of kale chips were on the side.


My most recent dinner included a baby kale salad topped with radishes, tomato, cucumber, avocado, and parmesan cheese tossed with an asian vinaigrette.  Along the side were the most perfectly roasted sweet potato chunks.  They were simply tossed on coconut oil, sprinkled with pumpkin pie spice and turmeric, and baked at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.


And last, but certainly not least, Happy Father's Day to my Dad!    From the moment you became a Dad 30 years ago, you've been the best father Royce and I could ever imagine.  I can't wait to celebrate over 4th of July weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment