Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Road Less Traveled

First things first, I'm a DOCTOR!  After 13 years of elementary/middle/high school, 3 years of undergrad, and 4 years of medical school, I finally came to realize my dreams this past week.  It was a great week filled with friends, family, fun, laughter, and parties (perhaps we weren't behaving like the future doctor's of America, but we couldn't miss living it up before facing the reality of beginning residency July 1st!).  It all culminated with graduation on Thursday where I received this fancy piece of paper.



As I reflect on my recent medical school graduation, I've often reflected on the path I've taken and can't help but wonder where life would have taken me had I chosen a different path at each crossing.  Fortunately, I'm beyond thrilled to be beginning a medical career and find it hard to believe I would be happy on any other path.  Have you ever considered all of the endless possibilities for careers, lifestyles, hobbies, etc. and reflected on where you've ended up?



I've always loved Robert Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken."  

Two roads diverged in a wood and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.



Rather than describe in words the past 10 years of my life and the roads I have chosen (sounds riveting, right), I'll spare you the details, and instead, entertain you with pictures.  Here are a few highlights of the past decade.


I played in the Emory Wind Ensemble and Orchestra throughout college.    2003 - 2006

In 2005, we toured throughout Vienna, Graz, and Prague. These were definitely my favorite college memories and I really miss having music as such a large part of my life.
Graduation from Agnes Scott College 2006 with a Bachelor's in Biology.
I spent a year working in an orthopaedic office prior to medical school.  It was a great job and I was fortunate to have awesome co-workers that have remained close friends.
Mother-Daughter trip to Hawaii just prior to starting medical school - June 2007
MCG White Coat Ceremony September 2007 - receiving my first short white coat.
A group from our class trained together for the 2008 ING Georgia Half-Marathon.
We survived our 1st year of medical school!  Potlucks were plentiful throughout the year  - especially after major exams.
Ironman Florida 70.3 - May 2008.  My 1st triathlon!
We adopted Bailey - a 1 year old Weimaraner rescue.  An amazing dog and my faithful running partner.
Mistletoe Triathlon 2008 with classmates
Tacky Christmas Party 2008
Dr. Prom 2009
2nd year of medical school = DONE!
Spring 2009 - Started racing for The Sport Factory and got an awesome new bike.
Who would have thought that Ironman would come to Augusta - September 2009
Residency interviews had me traveling all over the country from November '10 to January '11.  Perhaps most memorable was my trip to Mayo in Rochester, Minnesota.  Snowpocalypse followed me there - 24 inches in about 12 hours.  It was a long day that included pushing our shuttle bus out of a snow drift and spending the night in the airport.
My first visit to Washington D.C. - January 2011.  Enjoyed seeing the sights during an interview weekend.
May 2011:  It's legit - I really did earn a couple new initials to add to my name.

Graduation May 2011 - decked out in the less than fashionable cap, gown, and hood.
North Augusta Riverwalk May 2011 - Couldn't have done it without the love and support of my awesome parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment