Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A Twist on Grilled Cheese

Do you have specific meals from childhood that hold a special spot in your heart, or more accurately, in your stomach?  Two of my favorites that I remember my parents preparing quite frequently are grilled cheese and fried egg sandwiches.  Our family's grilled cheese sandwiches were prepared on Nature's Own wheat bread and slices of Kraft American cheese.  On the side, Mom and Dad would have a bowl of tomato soup, while my brother and I enjoyed chicken noodle.  Of course no grilled cheese was complete without a giant puddle of ketchup for dipping.  Fried egg sandwiches were my Dad's specialty, and we all loved when he offered to whip them up for a simple dinner on a lazy night.  There's something so delicious about the combination of soft fresh bread, over-medium fried eggs, and salt and pepper.  And the best part - the drippy yolk that was perfect for dipping.

Last night I was craving the comfort and satisfaction of one of those simple childhood favorites.  Since I'm no longer ten years old and know a thing or two more about cooking and healthy eating, I combined my two childhood favorites and kicked it up a notch.  Give this recipe a quick read, and then later this week when you're short on time or simply looking for a childhood classic, give this sandwich a try.

Sweet and Savory Grilled Cheese


1. Start by selecting two slices of hearty bread - my favorite is Great Harvest Dakota Bread.  On one slice spread a layer of Dijon mustard, and on the other, a generous serving of strawberry jam.


2. Next, layer fresh basil over the Dijon mustard.  On the opposite side, place several chunks of good quality rich cheese.  For my cheese, I chose Beemster Classic Cheddar.


3.  In a saute pan over medium heat, fry an egg.  To ensure that delicious drippy yolk, you'll need just a couple minutes to reach a doneness somewhere between over-easy and over-medium.  Layer the egg over the cheese.


4.  Flip your basil coated slice over to top the egg.  Grill the sandwich on a panini press or oven-top pan until the cheese has melted and the bread is toasted.

Is anyone drooling and already planning a trip to the kitchen for this grown-up version of a childhood favorite?  This twist on grilled cheese is a winner in my books, and will certainly be my new favorite lazy night meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment