Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Memoir of a Lost Grandpa


Lloyd Perkins, Sr
1929 - 2012

The world lost a special man today - Lloyd Perkins, Sr.  To me he was "Grandpa", but to others he was a husband, son, father, brother, uncle, grandfather, great-grandfather, cousin, and friend.  He was a businessman, a fisherman, a do-it-yourselfer, an entrepreneur, a man who loved his grill, a happy hour expert, and an all around good guy.

Grandpa and Grandma with the 3 kids - 2009

Graduation from Agnes Scott College - 2006

Royce and Grandpa

All of the boys.
I love this picture!

Husband and Wife
I remember the summer vacations my brother and I enjoyed as kids at Grandpa and Grandma's Englewood, Florida beach house.  It was literally a child's paradise.  The memories I have are endless:  long afternoons at the beach, skiing and knee boarding, fishing from the dock, cracking peanuts on the deck, watching a wild pig run through the back yard, sitting around the grill and chatting while dinner cooked, late afternoon movies and naps, playing Lego's underneath the staircase, watching sea turtles lay eggs on the beach, and playing endless rounds of solitaire.  

Enjoying dinner at Sharkey's

A Dad and his sons
Are you taking another picture of me?
Grandpa wasn't a fan of cameras.

Mom and Dad with Grandpa and Grandma
  
The guys take on all of the world's problems after dinner.
At some point, Grandpa likely chimed in "Do you want to be right or happy?"

Enjoying Spring Break 2008 at Grandma and Grandpa's house.

My favorite part of this picture is Grandpa sticking his tongue out at the camera.


I love you Grandpa, and will miss you terribly.  In addition to all of the memories you have created, I am most thankful for the loving, strong, thoughtful, and entrepreneurial son you raised who I have the pleasure of calling Dad.  You may not be around for me to share a happy hour beer or glass of wine, but rest assured I'll carry you closely in my mind and continue to celebrate the life that you charted.

No comments:

Post a Comment