1. The weather here in Charlotte has been crazy this week. Almost daily, we are greeted with rumbles of thunder, howling wind, flashes of lightening, and torrential downpours. This afternoon the rain was so heavy that the South Park mall roof collapsed. While it may have been frightening outside, the rainy afternoon was the perfect excuse to curl up on the couch and enjoy a nap.
2. Last weekend I flew to Florida to spend the weekend with my family as we mourned the loss of my grandfather. While there were plenty of tears and sorrow, there was also a celebration of his life and lots of story-telling based on the memories that he created over his lifetime. A boat ride down the intercoastal waterway led us to his former "beach house," and the location for a small service in his honor. It was a beautiful morning for saying goodbye to Grandpa.
3. Any guesses on how I acquired this nice bruise? You can guess all day, but I guarantee you'd never be correct. When I arrived in Florida on Thursday night, I was greeted by Bailey, who was very happy to see her "sissy". In all of her excitement, I recall her tail whipping back and forth on my legs but didn't think much of it at the time. A short time later my calf was hurting, and I looked down only to find a rapidly expanding hematoma. Crazy, right?! I can't even make this stuff up! One week later and my calf still looks like it was assaulted.
4. Second year of residency has completely changed my outlook on life. One month ago, I was miserable on a daily basis and seriously contemplating, at times, whether I had chosen the correct career path. Now, twenty days into year two, and I'm a happy girl again. No more general surgery, intern scut work, or trauma nights. Hello ortho!
5. Meals have been a random assortment of leftovers, freezer odds and ends, and pantry staples. It's all been good, but I'm ready for a more well composed hearty meal. Hopefully the farmer's market will provide a bounty of fresh produce to inspire a week of dinners.
|Lentil Mushroom Spinach soup + sweet potato wedges + watermelon and mango|
|Hummus and veggies sandwich + watermelon + carrot|
|Salsarita's salad: black beans, lettuce, tomato, pico, guacamole, cilantro, and salsa|
|A Working Lunch|
Roasted potatoes + squash and mushrooms + cabbage slaw + peas and corn
|Lunchtime Snack Plate|
Quinoa and corn relish + pasta salad + carrots + cherries + grapes + cracker and hummus
|Kitchen sink salad + a peach|
The peaches are SO good right now!
Have a great weekend!