Sunday, September 29, 2013

Countdown

I need a vacation - ASAP!  Fortunately, I'll soon be flying away on a jet plane.  T-minus 10 days and counting until I'll be landing in the Windy City - CHICAGO!


While in Chicago, I'll be celebrating my 29th birthday.  Gosh, 29 sounds so old.  Anyways, the trip is sure to be filled with fun - exploring the city with my family, running along the water, fantastic meals, and best of all, an escape from reality!

To completely change the subject, please allow me to proclaim my excitement for the recent fall weather.  The crisp, cool morning air is so refreshing after the humidity of summer.  Suddenly I find myself craving a long run just to bask in the beautiful day.  Fall also brings the return of apples.  Last weekend I diced up a half dozen apples from a local farmer and put them in the crock-pot with cinnamon and a splash of apple juice.  In addition to making a perfect topping to a bowl of oatmeal, they made my house smell incredible.


Lately, dinners have been very simple.  Tomato and avocado sandwiches have become a staple.  Yesterday, however, I needed to create something with the spaghetti squash sitting on the bottom shelf in the pantry.  After considering several options, including an Italian-inspired twist, I opted for Daily Garnish's Spaghetti Squash with Vegan Mushroom Cream.  I made a few changes - omitting the shallots and cream, decreasing the amount of milk, using shitake mushrooms, and adding curry powder for additional flavor.  If you're looking for a comforting vegan meal without the heaviness of traditional pasta, this is definitely a unique dish.


Finally, a peak at my eats at work today.  Although many people consider it to be difficult to maintain a healthy diet when eating the majority of meals outside of the house, I would argue that with a little effort, it is certainly feasible.  Take for instance, my breakfast favorite - PANCAKES!  I packed two blueberry cornmeal pancakes from home and then topped them with peanut butter, blueberries, strawberries, and trail mix from the cafeteria.  Instant gourmet breakfast!


Lunch was courtesy of Earth Fare.  Yesterday they sent a text-coupon for 50% off the hot and salad bars.  A combination of salad veggies, Indian-spiced chickpeas, and marinated kale made for an affordable grab-and-go lunch option.


Another week comes to a close, and another Monday is knocking on the door.  Let the rat race continue . . . but only for 10 more days.

No comments:

Post a Comment