Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Back On Track

For all of you loyal readers out there (I'm pretty sure there is a grand total of ZERO of you currently), I apologize for my rather pitiful start with the whole blogging thing.  Even I realize that blogs are only interesting if the author posts on a semi-regular basis.  However, the begining of this week has been nothing you want to read about.  But, in an effort to keep you entertained, I'm going to tell you about it anyways.

The stomach flu hit with a vengence Sunday night and I spent the next 2 days curled up in bed or on the bathroom floor.  Can someone please explain to me how it is I can stay perfectly healthy during all of my clinical rotations (even during a 6 week rotation with snotty-nosed children), yet just a week into vacation I get sick?  As you can imagine, there was nothing exciting on the menu either day - just some occassional toast and broth.  I even skipped my swim on Monday, which for me says a lot since I HATE missing workouts.  Yesterday night I was tired of laying around and decided to give my brick workout a try.  For those of you who are new to the triathlon lingo, that's a bike followed immediately by a run.  Think B (bike) + R (run) + ICK (exactly how you feel as you attempt to convince your exhausted legs to pick up the pace and run faster so that you don't disappoint your coach!).  Aside from feeling pretty weak and tired, the hour bike went pretty well and I was happy to be sweating.  Then it was on to the treadmill - for a planned 3 mile tempo run.  I started out at what I expected to be a very conservative 8 min/mi pace, with plans to quickly move towards a 7 min pace.  Unfortunately my legs weren't feeling so spunky, and the 3 mile run quickly turned into a 2 mile death march.  I would have toughed it out, but decided the light-headed feeling and gurgling stomach probably weren't foreshadowing a grand finish.

Fortunately, I woke up feeling like a whole new person this morning.  I managed to enjoy a bowl of cereal and blueberries this morning, which is the most exciting thing my palate had enjoyed since Sunday night.  Then I hit up the pool for a solid swim (10 x 200 main set).  It wasn't easy and I certainly felt the lingering effects of the plague, but it felt great to be out of bed and doing something productive with my day.  So, that's my long-winded explanation for my absence.  I promise more exciting posts to come, so long as the nasty stomach bugs stay far, far away!

No comments:

Post a Comment