Sunday, April 24, 2011

It's All About the Food

Happy Easter!!

This year I eagerly volunteered to plan and prepare the Easter dinner for our family.  Now that I have plenty of time, I've loved getting creative in the kitchen and have been cooking dinner most every night.  I pretty much know my parents will eat anything I put in front of them.  However, preparing a meal that will please everyone - including my grandparents, brother, and his girlfriend - is a totally different task.  Especially considering the traditional holiday meals feature ham, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, rolls, etc.  Don't get me wrong, my Mom is a fantastic cook, everything is always delicious, and our holiday meals are always memorable.  This year though, I wanted to try something a little different.  The challenge was to prepare a fresh meal featuring local meat, seasonal produce, and fresh ingredients that didn't scream "healthy".  I THINK it was a success - everyone gave their praises and cleaned their plates.  Maybe they were just being nice, or just maybe I convinced them that healthy can be delicious as well.

Here's our meal in pictures.













Hmm . . . guess I need to work on the skill of the family photographers.

Appetizers/Light Lunch:
Strawberry-Avocado Salsa with Cinnamon Pita Chips













Cumin Curried Hummus with Veggies













Deviled Eggs













Nut and Jelly Bean Baskets














Dinner:
Lamb Kabobs with Israeli Dipping Sauce

















Quinoa Tabbouli

















Roasted Brown Butter Asparagus













Glazed Carrots













Rum Caramel Covered Pineapple over Ice Cream with Toasted Coconut













I hope everyone had a Happy Easter and the Bunny was good to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment