Friday, July 22, 2011

Yes, I Know, It's Friday

As I went about my day today - 4am alarm clock, gym, hospital, drive home, dinner - one particular thing became the recurring theme.  Can you guess what it might be?  If you guessed "It's Friday!" than you are exactly right.  It seemed as though nearly every person I passed was making mention to myself or another person about how happy they were that it was Friday and the weekend was in sight.  No early alarm clocks, no work, no responsibilities.  Everyone seemed to be rejoicing in the end of the work week.



I can't help but consider that this "end of the week" mentality is actually quite ignorant.  Sure, the majority of Americans work a very tidy schedule - Monday thru Friday, 8am-5pm.  However, there remains a huge group of people who continue to have work obligations and responsibilities after 5pm and on Saturdays and Sundays.  I'm not suggesting we stop rejoicing in the feeling of accomplishment that comes with surviving another week of work.  Instead, next week when you're doing your "It's Friday" dance, perhaps you might stop and give thanks for all of the people work Saturday and Sunday just like it's another Monday.

And yes, I'm working this weekend.  And next weekend.  And the weekend after that.  In fact, my next weekend off is August 27.  But I'm not writing this post because I am bitter or frustrated.  I'm loving my job and feel fortunate that I have the opportunity to have a positive impact on people's lives when they are facing challenges.

I, too, have been guilty of focusing on Fridays and simply going through the motions to get through the week.  After giving this post some thought, I hope you'll join me in taking a new and refreshing approach to the days of the week.  Enjoy each and every day and cherish it like it's your last.  Don't stop enjoying your days of rest and relaxation - just realize that your Saturday is someone else's Monday.  Life is far too short to rush away Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.  Try celebrating each and everyday as if it's a Friday!

1 comment:

  1. It's true all that you said -- but give yourself a bone and know that this intern year is rough and you do need more days off. It's ok to feel frustrated. Jake already does. He has a weekend next weekend. Know though that going into medicine was anything BUT about time off -- and that can be frustrating -- but I tell Jake everytime I receive a frustrated text from him to take the first person out of the text -- if it no longer makes sense -- than his focus is off. In your position you have to prioritize DRASTICALLY during your time off: people and places. You are forced to reconcile quickly this year what you think matters and what really does. You are also not allowed a lot of time for you being in a field of service. Know that taking time for you is not selfish -- I have this problem!!!! (So I'm really preaching to me!!) Be wary of trying to think that anyone understands your schedule or what you do -- we don't. We never will. I remind Jake of this. It's not that we don't want to know -- but we live outside of the hospital walls by the grace of God if we can. So in your post I get a slight sense of trying to make the general work folks like us try to sympathize or understand your schedule -- we don't. We didn't go into medicine. We couldn't do what you are doing -- and I think God daily for people who do serve in all fields of sacrifice. Jake and I sometimes have points of conflict in this trying to understand the other business -- and it rarely goes well if we take on that mindset. We just respect and appreciate the unique callings we each have. And TRUST ME -- I definitely have my pitty party moments of not seeing Jake much at all during the week or weekends -- no dates, and when we do he is DEAD TIRED. But YES you do strike a huge point that when you DO come home -- remember that LIFE happens outside of the hospital. So make of it the most!!! Much <3!

    ReplyDelete