Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Blackout

Dear ER patients,
Would you forgive me if I stayed right here under my blanket and slept like a normal person does at night?  Your wait times might be an extra hour, but I promise that it would be for a good cause (my sanity).  Besides, you really don't need to come to the ER at 2am for a scratchy ear, back pain that you've had for the past 10 years, or because you just aren't sure why you can't fall asleep.
Respectfully,
Your friendly surgery resident

Yes folks, I'm back to working nights again.  The hours aren't bad at all - 9pm to 7am or 7pm to 5am.  My issue is the fact that I am NOT a daytime sleeper.

I've been using this very unattractive eye pillow and ear plugs to attempt to convince my body clock that it's not a bright and beautiful day.  Despite that, I fell asleep at 8:15am this morning and was getting up at 11:57am.  And I was awake three times during that very short time.  I have blinds and window treatments on my window, yet I still had to get a little creative to block out the sunlight.


Yes, you see that right, it's a beach towel.  Totally tacky, but all I could come up with to reduce the bright light.  That was, of course, until thermal window treatments arrived on my doorstop.  Meet my new and improved dark room!


Still some light coming through, but certainly an improvement.  I can't wait to try it out tomorrow morning!

Time for work - but first, MUST FIND COFFEE!

No comments:

Post a Comment