Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Too Early?

I may or may not have spent the afternoon listening to this.

I really hadn't even begun to think about Christmas until I heard an ad on TV this other day that featured Jingle Bell Rock.  Since then, I just simply couldn't get the idea of listening to Christmas music out of my head.  So, this afternoon I gave in.  It was glorious!

I'm on plastic surgery this month, which along with neurosurgery, are our "easiest" rotations of intern year.  I was done at the hospital by noon today.  I started the afternoon with a little R&R in an attempt to rid my body of the virus that has taken up residence.

After a little nap, I was feeling recharged and ready to tackle a workout.  70 minutes later I was a sweaty mess and for the first time in 2 days, finally able to breathe thru my nose.  I'm a firm believer that some heart pounding action when you're sick can make all the difference.


Dinner tonight has been in the plan for weeks.  Ever since I saw Mama Pea's recipe for Sloppy Josephines, it's been on my "must make" list.  I fondly remember Mamwich dinners as a kid.  Mom would simmer ground beef and the savory-sweet sauce together and it would fill the house with a great smell.  Then she'd serve it on top of hamburger buns and topped with a slice of Kraft American cheese.  Yumm!  Simple, tasty, and family approved.  Now that I'm a little more health conscious, I was ready to take a childhood favorite and recreate it with a healthy twist.

Sloppy Josephines served over Great Harvest Flax Oat Bran and topped with pickles and nutritional yeast.  I can't help but thing a slice of ooey-gooey Kraft would taste pretty darn good, but the ingredient list is scary and anything but natural.  I followed Mama Pea's recipe for the most part, but left out oregano and substituted red cooking wine for the red wine vinegar.

The substitution of lentils for ground beef is perfect and certainly didn't leave me missing the meat.  Lentils are chock full of iron, protein, fiber, folate, and B vitamins.  Be sure to add this into your upcoming week's meal plan.  I promise you won't regret it!

Sloppy Josephines, Roasted Sweet Potatoes, and Broccoli
Finally, a little food for thought - literally.  I walked into a patient's room this morning just after they had been delivered their breakfast trays.  I've never been impressed on the meals served to patients, but this meal hit an all-time low.
Biscuit, Cheesy Potato Sausage Casserole, Buttered Grits, Candied Peaches, and OJ 
Does anyone else find this meal disturbing?  Seriously, how does this fat-laden carbohydrate mess contribute to the healing and recovery of our patients?  Amazing.  And sad too, because I'm pretty sure there's a well-payed nutritionist who approves all of the hospital's dietary plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment