Monday, January 21, 2013

Purple Potatoes


Have you ever seen purple sweet potatoes?  These caught my eye at a local farmer's stand at the market a couple weeks ago and quickly made their way into my bag.  I sliced them, tossed with some EVOO, salt, pepper, cinnamon, and cumin, then roasted at 400 degrees for 40 minutes.  They were good, but less moist then the sweet potatoes I typically roast.  I'd say they were a mix between a traditional red skin potato and sweet potato.  As you can see, I made a big batch and enjoyed them with several meals.

A small meal after my 15k race.
In typical post-race fashion, I wasn't really hungry for dinner.
Fortunately, a green smoothie, purple potatoes, and veggies were agreeable.

Wok seared tempeh (marinated in OJ and coconut aminos), pea pods, and purple sweet potatoes.

Mexican salad and the last of the potato rounds.

Do you remember when I told you about my recent meal at Highland Bakery?  When I was there I couldn't help but be attracted to the perfect pile of  sweet potato biscuits in the bakery window.  I was quick to purchase one, knowing exactly the occasion for its consumption - Saturday's post-call breakfast.  If you know me well, it's quite apparent that food is perhaps the most motivational object you could dangle in front of me.  I would be lying if I said that I didn't spend most of the night on Friday thinking about that biscuit!


As soon as I arrived home Saturday morning,  I went straight to the freezer to extract my highly coveted biscuit.  After a hot shower to decontaminate the nasty hospital germs, breakfast came together in a flash.  The delicacy heated in the oven while I scrambled some eggs and sliced up an orange.  

The verdict - OH MY GOSH!  The best pastry I've had in a long time!  And this is coming from the girl who never orders biscuits.  Perfectly sweet, buttery, and delicately crumbly.  I'll definitely be picking up more of these the next time I'm in Atlanta.


I have to share my excitement when I received an email last week that Charlotte area Moe's locations were selling their salads for 1/2 price for a single day.  With an empty refrigerator and a long day at work, it was perfect timing.  Lots of veggies, tofu, and salsa make for a good salad.


Last, but not least, how incredible was the weather this past weekend?  After five straight days of rain and cold temperatures (including a threat of snow that never came to fruition), the sun came out.  I spent my Saturday afternoon soaking up every last bit of the warmth while alternating reading and sleeping.  And now the high temperature is 37 degrees tomorrow.  Go figure!



No comments:

Post a Comment