Saturday, January 5, 2013

Typical Weekend

2013 is off to a good start.  Trauma is over until May, workouts have been good, I'm on track with my New Year's resolutions, and I'm enjoying my weekend.  Weekends never get old  - now if only they were one day longer.  

This morning I was awake before 7am and decided I'd head to the gym for an hour of weights.  First, I used my new waffle maker to whip up a almond flour waffle with almond butter, cranberries, blackberries, and molasses.  Move over pancakes, you've got some competition!  Did you know the trick to a crispy waffle exterior is the addition of corn starch to the waffle mix?


As usual, I made my Saturday morning trip to the farmer's market.  It's a much different market in the winter with fewer vendors, but there are still plenty of fresh and seasonal options.   Today's bounty included a red bell pepper, snap peas, honeycrisp apples, pomegranate, purple sweet potatoes, pea pods, tomato, lemon, kiwi, and cucumber.


I used my collection of veggies in a hearty egg scramble for lunch.  In additional to two eggs scrambled with a dash of mustard and spices, I sauteed bell pepper, peas, and mustard greens.  So good!  On the side were pea pods with hummus and not-so-great apple dusted with cinnamon.  There's nothing worse than a soft apple.

I was optimistic that I could sit on my deck in the sunshine and pretend it wasn't in the mid-40s, but no such luck.  It was too cold and I returned inside for some shelter.


I was on my way out the door to swim this afternoon when I got a text from a friend asking if I wanted to run.  Absolutely!  I had just done a hard speed workout yesterday and my legs were definitely feeling tired, but 4.5 miles passed so easily with a running partner.  Socializing + workout partner = two resolutions in one!

I have to throw in this last picture just for laughs.  Sometimes people comment that I must make elaborate meals that are artistically crafted for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on a daily basis.  Sure, I love to cook a well-composed feast with fresh local ingredients.  However, I am also frequently combining a odd mix of ingredients that are staring at me from the pantry and refrigerator.  Post-call lunch on Friday was sardine salad mixed with peas and served on toast, and a side of carrots and hummus.  Not exactly the most photogenic meal and I'm sure some of you are gagging right now, but it hit the spot.


Have you made any crazy combinations in the kitchen recently?  Can you beat my random mix of sardines and peas?



No comments:

Post a Comment