Sunday, January 27, 2013

Thanksgiving in January

 

My belly is in a very happy place right now.  I just finished eating that incredible plate of Thanksgiving favorites - and yes, it is the end of January.  Let me explain . . . Since I was at the big house fixing bones on Thanksgiving, I missed the the delicious family Thanksgiving feast.  When my parents made a trip to revive my flu-ridden soul in December, much to my delight they brought a frozen container of Thanksgiving dinner.  I've been treasuring that meal in the back of my freezer for just the right night, and tonight it was!

Big Green Egg smoked turkey (you did good, Dad!), sweet potato casserole, mashed rutabagas, and green bean casserole combined for a feast absolutely worth serving on a random January night.  There's just one problem - a single serving portion means I was a bit disappointed when I walked back to the kitchen for a second serving, only to discover I had already eaten it all.  Bummer!  Anyways, huge thanks to my parents for providing me with that incredibly delicious slice of Thanksgiving.

In other news, Charlotte survived the "big" ice storm of 2013.  And by big, I mean quite little.  Friday afternoon we received an hour or so of sleet followed by a few hours of freezing rain.  It never amounted to the same beauty that is snow, yet travel was dangerous.  My deck had about a quarter inch layer of ice by the late afternoon.  


Fortunately, I was home before the weather arrived and kept warm in my favorite fleece pants and sweatshirt by the fireplace.  I even whipped up a homemade batch of vegetable rice soup.  Somewhere along the course of the past week a virus has taken up residence in my head, and soup sounded comforting and healing.


And last, but not least, what Sunday post would be complete without pictures of breakfast - my favorite weekend meal.  Saturday was pancake day - topped with almond butter, apple sauce, bananas, cinnamon, chia seeds, trail mix, and maple syrup.  Mmmmm - endless combinations and always delicious!


This morning I started with a saute of lacinato kale, garlic, and onion in a bit of olive oil.  Then I added a mix of eggs, mustard, pepper, and a little nutritional yeast to create a veggie egg scramble.  Accompaniments included almond butter and blueberry jam on Great Harvest toast (I love the end pieces!) and a kiwi.


Do you have traditional weekend meals that you spend all week looking forward to?

No comments:

Post a Comment