Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Thirteen for 2013

I have never been one to formally write down a list of resolutions.  Like most people though, I always spend a little time reflecting on the previous year and thinking of goals and plans for the new year ahead.  This year I'm going to just lay my resolutions out there on paper (or virtual paper, I suppose).  Hopefully this formal process will keep me accountable.

In no particular order, here are my thirteen resolutions for 2013!

1.  Find happiness in each day.  2012 has been a year of uncertainty and frustration and I don't want 2013 to be more of the same.  I've chosen this path and now I plan to see it to completion.  Regardless of how short the moment, I want to take the time to smile and be happy each and every day.

2.  Drink more water.  This is definitely one of those things that I preach the importance of, but fail to follow my own guidance.  I'm not setting a specific amount of water per day, just simply a more conscious effort to improve my hydration.

3.  Cut back on sweets.  Sure, I'm a very healthy eater and am very particular about the quality of food that I eat.  However, my consumption of sugary items is getting out of control, particularly in the couple hours between dinner and bed.  Rather than snacking on wasted calories, I'm aiming for quality protein-rich bedtime snacks.

4. Add some MUSCLE.  Strength workouts at least once per week, preferably two.  If I could add about five pounds of muscle mass, I think it would go far in improving my bike performance.  Plus, muscles just look good!  And no, I'm not joining the Crossfit cult.

5.  Cook a meal from a cookbook twice per month.  I have a tendency to just wing-it when it comes to meals - relying on a combination simple ingredients to formulate my dinner plate.  I have a whole shelf of excellent cookbooks, and it's time to break them open.

Brown Rice, Lentil, Carrot, Caramelized Onion, and Mustard Green Stew
This was not a cookbook recipe, but rather, my own personal creation.  It was simple to prepare - just toss all of the ingredients and some spices in the crock pot - but incredibly delicious.
The perfect meal for a cold rainy night, and full of great nutrients to kick start 2013.

6.  Call and talk to my family more often.  My parents and I talk on nearly a daily basis, but I certainly can't say the same for my brother (and his soon-to-be wife!) and grandparents.  There is no good excuse for not making time for family.

7.  Take my vitamin every day.  

8.  Recommit to serious triathlon training.  I've had some decent races over the past two seasons, but certainly nothing to write home about.  It's time to get back on a formal training plan.  I'll be racing in the open division in Set Up Events races and serious training is required to compete with these ladies.  Included in this goal is focusing on run speed and bike endurance.

9. Bring music back into my life.  This includes playing both flute and piano, and listening to classical music.  Music was previously a huge part of my life, and I want a little piece of it around again.  Playing classical tunes while studying worked so well for me during undergrad and medical school, yet it's been months since I listened to some good orchestral works.

10.  Travel globally.  I have yet to select a particular location, but I want to travel internationally at least once each year.  There are so many incredible places to explore and cultures to experience.

11.  Blog on a regular basis.  I'm going to aim for one post per week, and occasionally more often for particular blog-worthy photos or stories.  Besides, I've got a new fancy camera that needs some use.

12.  Be more social.  In a profession where work days start before sunrise and end after sunset, it's easy to become a home-body.  Add my triathlon training on top of that, and social activities are low on my priority list.  In 2013 I want to make a conscious effort to enjoy fun activities with my friends and "family" in Charlotte.

13.  Group bike, run, or yoga workouts a minimum of once per week.  I'm fortunate to have several great opportunities to train with some excellent athletes here in Charlotte.  I really miss the group training atmosphere that I had with The Sport Factory in Atlanta.  Training with others that are faster and stronger results in huge fitness gains.  Plus, this is another outlet to achieve goal number 12.

So, there they are.  Hopefully when I look back at this post on January 1, 2014, I'll have achieved success.

Happy New Year and best wishes for a fabulous 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment