Thursday, January 9, 2014

A Magazine Appearance and Recent Eats

As I walked into clinic this afternoon, I picked up a copy of this month's Endurance Magazine that was sitting in the waiting room.  I typically read the magazine each month, looking for local races and the occasional interesting article.  I went about my way seeing patients, until I received a text from a friend with this picture and a note to check out Endurance Magazine.  Low and behold, just a few pages into the magazine is my smiling face on a full page spread.


To say I was surprised would be an understatement.  Several weeks ago I had answered some questions about my Ramblin' Rose experience and was told a quote or two might appear in the upcoming issue.  Little did I know that the quote would be accompanied by a giant picture!  

Have you heard about the recent cold weather?  Something named the "polar vortex?"  Here in the South we are completely incapable of handling single digit temperatures, not to mention a 1% chance of wintry precipitation.  Therefore, schools have been running on delays and bread and milk have disappeared from grocery store shelves.


Despite the chilly temperatures (warmer than it actually was thanks to the parking deck heat), the most exciting thing about this picture was my arrival time to work - 6:30AM!  Good-bye trauma, hello sleep!
Fortunately, it's starting to warm up and the sun was actually shining this afternoon.


Along with cold weather comes my craving for simple and comforting meals.   The past two weeks have been a combination of freezer staples, fresh produce, and tofu.  One day I roasted tofu and sweet potatoes and sautéed green beans and another day I combined left overs with a wild rice and vegetable frozen blend with added kale.



Over the weekend, I wanted nothing more than a warm bowl of soup.  Enter Trader Joe's Tomato soup, multigrain flatbread, and a salad with avocado (love it!).


Finally, the highlight this week has been a head of purple cabbage that I braised in a combination of red wine, white wine vinegar, salt and pepper.  I'm definitely going to be doing this more often, because it was so delicious.  Making it a complete meal was a serving of Earth Fare's organic mac and cheese and the last of the green beans.



No comments:

Post a Comment