Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Finding Time

One thing I've learned since I started blogging is that the amount of spare time I have correlates directly with the frequency of which I post.  Given the fact that it's been nearly a week since I put a post up, you could conclude that life has gotten pretty crazy again.  In actuality, it's not so much that life is crazy, as it is that I am pretty much living at the hospital.  December 1st marked my return to the orthopaedic trauma service.  While I'm certainly glad to be back with my most favorite residents in the hospital, ortho trauma come with long hours and very little time in the "real world".  The average day starts with 4:30am rounding, followed by 6:30am conference, a mix of surgery, consults, and clinics, and ends sometime after the sun goes down and patients are tucked into bed for the night and prepped for the next day.  In essence, I never see the light of day except in the occasional patient's hospital room window.  It's kind of depressing.

In the world outside the hospital, however, everyone seems to be abuzz with the joys of the approaching Christmas holiday.  I've been listening to Christmas music to and from work in an attempt to enjoy the season.  While it's impossible not to notice that most people are obsessed with jingle bells, Christmas trees, and Santa Claus, I'm finding it very tough to get excited this year.  Hmm, that needs to change.

My post-work routine consists of doing some ortho reading, exercising (sadly not on a daily basis), eating a quick meal, and passing out in anticipation of a pre-4am alarm clock.  I'd share some photos of my dinners, but there simply aren't any pictures.  Think canned soups, frozen burritos, salads, and eggs and toast.  Simple, quick,  and somewhat well balanced, but most certainly not photo-worthy.

Well after a long and frustrating 9.5 hour case today, I'm sitting with my very sore feet propped up in my comfy leather chair.  I've dosed of at least a half-dozen times just writing this post.  And it's only 8:45pm.  My bed is calling.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment