In honor of Royce's 24th birthday, we had a little family celebration last night. With our family, if you offer a home-cooked meal, you're guaranteed to have a hungry bunch around the table.
Royce's Birthday Feast
- Grilled Pheasant and Ribs
- Shallot Gravy
- Broccoli Cabbage Slaw
- Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- Steamed Garden-Fresh Collards
- Key Lime Pie
|There's nothing more this man loves than his grill! |
A vegan diet has put a halt on grilling meats, so I think he especially enjoyed cooking this weekend.
|Grandma and Grandpa|
|Proud parents and GREAT cooks|
|My version of a perfect meal - lots of veggies and a creamy carb|
Key Lime Pie
Crust: Combine 1.5 cups Annie's Organic Graham Bunnies and 3 tablespoons of melted Earth Balance in a food processor and process until a crumb consistency is formed. Press into a pie plate. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool completely prior to pouring in pie filling.
Key Lime Filling:
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 20 oz sweetened condensed milk
- Zest from key limes
- 3/4 cup fresh squeezed Key Lime juice
- Whipped Topping
- Beat the eggs at high speed for 5-7 minutes, or until thickened.
- Add 3 tbsp of lime zest. Slowly add the sweetened condensed milk while the mixer continues at medium speed. Beat an additional 2-4 minutes, or until the mixture as thickened to a consistency of a thin pudding.
- Add the Key Lime juice and mix on low until well incorporated.
- Pour Key Lime mixture into the pie shell.
- Bake the entire pie at 325 degrees for 15 minutes, or until the filling has set.
- Once the pie cools, refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Garnish with whipped topping and remaining lime zest.
Prior to digging into dessert, we enjoyed a beautiful sunset. The views and nature of this backyard never get old!
"Happy Birthday To You, Happy Birthday To You. Happy Birthday Dear Royce, Happy Birthday To You!"
Everyone seemed to enjoy the pie, and Royce gave it his seal of approval. Success! After finishing our dessert, Royce opened his presents, and then we called it a night.
Happy 24th Birthday Royce!