Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Green Thumb and Breakfast for Dinner

With a few weeks of temperatures in the 70s and 80s, it appears Spring has official sprung here in Charlotte.  Trees are filled with new leaves, lawnmowers are cutting the thick blades of green grass, and cars are covered in a nasty yellow film of pollen.  With a free afternoon on my hands and the realization that work is soon to get really busy, I knew today was the day to plant some vegetables.  Armed with my wallet and a list of potential plants that would tolerate living in pots, I headed to my local Lowe's.
There's simply nothing more tasty than homegrown vegetables on a summer evening.  The vegetables I selected and hope to be munching on in 6-8 weeks include:
  • Sweet Basil
  • Cilantro
  • Husky Cherry Tomatoes
  • Butter Bush Tomatoes
  • Sweet Banana Peppers
  • Orange Sweet Bell Peppers
  • Crookneck Squash
It was quite a process to fill pots with soil, plant the vegetables, haul them up two flights of stairs to the deck, and fertilize them, but actually was quite enjoyable to play in the dirt and completely forget about work.  I'll keep you posted on the progress of my vegetable "garden".

The weather was simply too perfect not to continue the afternoon basking in the sunshine.  After some reading and sun-soaking, I hit the pavement for a run.  7 miles at tempo pace felt surprisingly well today.  I contribute a large portion to my Zoot shoes (I swear I run significantly faster and with less effort in these than an my Mizunos), or maybe my new flashy shorts.



It's been almost 2 weeks since I've enjoyed eggs for breakfast.  Yesterday when I was planning out meals for the week, I knew immediately that I needed a "breakfast for dinner" night.  And so, this plate of deliciousness was born.
The scramble contained 2 whole eggs, 1 egg white, chopped kale, chopped tempeh, 1 tbsp nutritional yeast, 1 tsp mustard, 2 tbsp almond milk, a dash of cumin, and freshly cracked pepper.  I simply sauteed the kale and tempeh for 2 minutes and then added the eggs.  Just a couple minutes of stirring, and the eggs were ready.  I served it up with two small slices of toast (spinach feta and cinnamon chip), tomato slices, and blackberries.  Yum - a tasty meal packed with protein and nutrients!

No comments:

Post a Comment