Saturday, March 10, 2012

Favorite Falafel

Tuesday morning started out with a strength workout in the hotel gym.  I was still feeling pretty stuffed from all of that delicious paella and cheesecake, so it felt good to get moving right away and burn some of that fullness away.  Breakfast was bagel PERFECTION from Brooklyn Bagel Company.  Please add this to your NYC "must eat at" restaurant list right now.  I promise you have never had a better bagel.  Mom and I split two bagels.  First was a whole wheat everything bagel toasted with reduced fat plain cream cheese, smoked salmon, tomato, and capers.  Second was a whole wheat oatmeal raisin bagel toasted with cinnamon raisin walnut tofu cream cheese.  Between the crispy exterior, the chewy carbohydrate goodness interior, and then the creamy filling, my belly was very happy.  I've craved these bagels every morning this week since I've been home!

After spending a short while wondering around Macy's and becoming frustrated with the lack of sales and the ridiculous amount of construction and lack of organization in the store, I left empty handed.  We headed for shopping in Soho, but stopped first for some caffeine.  I ordered an extra hot skim latte and was presented with the masterpiece.  Unfortunately, the temperature was luke warm at best.  Despite requesting a hotter temperature, I was simply presented a second glass that was maybe 5 degrees warmer.  Oh well, guess I'll have to stick to Starbucks and save the fancy coffee shops for iced coffee.

Back when I was in NYC in 2010, I went on a quest to find the best falafel.  Internet searches led me to Taim Falafel and Smoothie Bar, and in no time at all I found myself crunched into a corner in the very tiny restaurant enjoying the most perfect falafel pita.  As you might imagine, I think often of this delicacy and can pretty much guarantee that Taim will be a regular stop each and every time I visit NYC!  This visit once again blew my tastebuds away!
The menu features everything from smoothies, to salads, to falafel pitas, to mixed falafel platters.

Mom and I weren't terribly hungry after our bagel breakfast, so we opted to share the falafel platter and moroccan carrots.
Despite not being super hungry, we completely cleaned the plate.

Whole wheat pita, tabouli salad, israeli salad, hummus, and falafel.
 I wondered around for a little longer and even managed to find sunglasses - a major accomplishment considering I've been needing a new pair for more than a year!  By mid-afternoon I was packing up my bags and soon found myself in a cab headed to the airport.  Sadly, my whirlwind trip to NYC was coming to an end.

The East River 

Attempts at capturing some pictures as the cab buzzed along the highway.

And less than 60 hours after I arrived, I sat waiting for my flight to board.
In typical fashion, our flight out of LaGuardia was delayed.

Dinner of champions - apple, cranberry + seltzer - enjoyed midair while reading the Hunger Games.
And that, my friends, sums up my trip to NYC.  Great food, window shopping with Mom, a run with Dad, appearing on a TV show, and most importantly, an escape from Charlotte and the glorious life of a surgical resident.  Only 6 more weeks until I get to escape again . . . Chicago awaits!

No comments:

Post a Comment