Saturday, March 31, 2012

Feels Like Sunday

Yes, I know, it's Saturday.  However, our rotation schedule changes precisely on the 1st of each month, and tomorrow (Sunday) is the 1st.  April 1st = Day 1 in the Trauma ICU.  I wish it were an April Fool's joke, but I'm afraid it's not.  With a busy several months looming, I had created a major to-do list that I hoped to conquer yesterday and today.  Fortunately, I'm happy to say that I've accomplished most everything.  Unfortunately this darn essay I have to write about the disparities in medicine still hasn't written itself.  Hmm, guess that will go back on this week's to-do list.

Friday's big accomplishment was purchasing patio furniture.  I love spending time on my deck soaking up the sun!  When I had my first deck on an apartment during medical school, my parents passed down a PVC pipe Floridian-themed chair and table.  It has served it's purpose well and didn't cost me a dime, but I was more than ready for new lounge chairs that didn't look quite so tacky.

I found great lounge chairs and matching table at a price that was considerably less than I had budgeted.  The only problem - flat packed boxes.  While watching the Today Show this morning I set out to tackle the construction project.

About an hour later, this was the result.  LOVE IT!


Meal highlights included:

  • Pancakes (a weekend tradition).  Despite the very unappetizing photo, I assure you that this plate was delicious.  Oatmeal pancakes were topped with a cinnamon raisin banana mash and maple syrup.



  • Kicked Up Vegan Blueberry Muffins (recipe coming soon).  I made these to stick in the freezer and grab for a healthy early morning snack on my way to work.



  • Roasted Kale, Avocado Slices, Brown Rice topped with Savory "Cheese" Sauce, and Roasted Mushrooms
    • The "cheese" sauce was a mix of nutritional yeast, almond milk, worcestershire sauce, mustard, and black pepper.  I simply simmered it on the stove for 10 minutes and served.


Training wise, I've been hitting some pretty solid workouts recently.  Friday included an early morning 2500m at the pool, 5 mile tempo run, and an hour of pilates.  Today featured 90 minutes of bike hills on the trainer that left my quads screaming in pain.  I think I may have lost 5 pounds in sweat.  It was gross.

One of my biggest stresses when I have a hectic schedule with long hours at the hospital is finding time to continue my triathlon training.  Now that we're getting closer to race time, it becomes an even greater concern.  In an attempt to ameliorate this concern, I've got a plan for April.  It may be a little ambitious and fatigue and need for sleep may win out over some of my workouts, but it's a start.

And that's a wrap for life in Charlotte on this last day of March.  Where did yet another month go?  I'm hitting publish and then I'm going to enjoy a couple hours of laziness before it's back to the grind tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment